Saturday, April 4, 2009

Porcupine Cupcake Fail

1st, in our defense, it must be said that Emily & I are plenty creative & talented individuals that just had a less talented day. After much brainstorming & deliberation we ended up with these for porcupine cupcakes for our book club. Spitting images really... of Bowzer. The smiles were added to show they are at least happy. What have you attempted & failed miserably at?

16 comments:

Denae said...

For me it's water skiing! I. just. can't. Many hours have been spent in the water waiting for the boat to come back & many attempts have left me in the splits. Just not a talent I have.

Michael said...

Janae and I LOVE the cupcakes!!

kelly said...

it was a good try, maybe chow mein noodles for the spikies?! i really want to know what the book was! comment me! i have failed at all kinds of things or i just don't attempt them!

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Ok, so I could never water ski either - just get pulled behind the boat and swallow a lot of lake water.

But when I saw your cupcakes I was painfully reminded of a few years ago, my sister was here to go to the temple with us (and Ben) and Martha Stewart did an episode on how to make the easter candy, Peeps. Now, In our family, we LOVE peeps and we thought if we could make our own peeps it would be the start to a perfect world.

I'll have to dig out the photos - the person at Walmart was throwing them away, and we stopped her and said, NOOOOO !! that's what the picture is of.

Very very funny. I'll definitely have to get the pictures out and post them.

It kind of just goes without saying in our house that if Brian comes home and there is some giant mess in the kitchen or dining room he knows that we were watching Martha Stewart - in fact when he walks in now, we just say "Martha Stewart" and he knows to watch his step.

Samantha said...

Those are some pretty ugly cupcakes. But you do get an A for effort. Hope they at least taste good!

I cannot drive a stick shift. Maybe it was because of my teacher (Jared, and a before that an old boyfriend) or maybe because I am just incapable of doing that many things at once.

Unknown said...

I think they are cute and definitely would have scarfed them down. Was the books about porcupines??? We are watching Kabluey. You would like it I think. It's weird and funny.
I never fail at anything...or maybe every time I try to be creative. Just that.

Aim said...

Oh my gosh, seriously. What are those things?! he he he! You two make me laugh. One thing I cannot seem to do is...carry my 72 hour pack that I faithfully packed and prepared...tried to lift it yesterday and nope, we might die b/c I can't get the thing out of the house, its WAY too heavy!

Anonymous said...

baking cookies at the apartment on Campbell. I followed the recipe to a t. Baked and baked and ended up with the worst cookies ever. My old roommate took me to the store at midnight for more ingredients b/c I determined not to suck at baking. Still failed. It was only about 2 years ago that I realized the stove/oven was crappy and that I can indeed cook and bake. that darn oven reduced me to tears that night.

Ben said...

Being resistible to my wife.

And making my lawn look like green grass instead of a greenish-brown patch of clovers.

Anonymous said...

You guys are so funny, and I love that the cupcakes look like Bowser! Ben, it's strange that you're making a concerted effort to be resistable to your wife...

Joan said...

Oh my gosh, BOWZER?! That cracks me up. You poor things, working your butts off on your porcupine cupcakes. I am SO glad you posted this. How many people are confident enough to laugh at themselves and be like, "Okay, fine. They look silly but whatever." LOVE it.
What have I failed miserably at, you ask? I have attempted to learn how to play the guitar on numerous occasions and yet I really only know how to strum like three chords or something lame. Oh well. Life goes on, right? Bowzer cupcakes and all.

Julie said...

Actually, I think they look pretty good - better than anything I could ever do! I love you to death - miss you dearly. You're children are absolutely ADORABLE! I wish we lived closer - keep in touch!

emilymhjohnson said...

There are a LOT of things I fail at. Skiing (I sat down on the mountain and cried), keeping my car clean (I found my passport buried in there the other day!), guitar (please refer to the video from Laura's wedding), eating healthy (hello fat jeans), budgeting (this is too upsetting to even joke about), and the list goes on. I'm happy that the porcupine cupcake fail has made the list. It's important to acknowledge your weaknesses every now and then.

Molly Malia said...

training my dogs

angerine said...

Who/what is this Bowzer you speak of?
this site might help you to feel better about your cupcake fail.

Emily said...

Curious what book y'all were reading that made porcipine cupcakes make sense?

And I think they look delish!

I tried to freehand cut a butterfly from a sheetcake once.
It turned out U G L Y, I must admit.