Right after I had Taj I decided I was interested in trying the next labor natural. I figured I would have more time to work up to this though & do hard research & be ready. Well, I didn't, so now I'm a bit lost.
I had a great experience with epidurals & am all for it & will most likely be doing it again, but I really want to just know once what women have been going through for thousands of years & what it is that my body is capable of. Although I'm not sure curiousity is worth the pain.
So I've been researching methods & trying to convince myself that I can do it, but we honestly don't have the time or money for classes to prepare for this, so it just keeps coming back to the drugs.
Basically I had just decided maybe someday it would be natural for me, but not this day until last night when I got a burst of motivation again.
But where do I start?! Do I really have any chance without classes? How can I make sure I'm ready & not going to cave as soon as a contraction comes!!? Again, advice please!!! oh & please don't hate me if I do give in & beg for drugs. I'm only human!!!
I had a great experience with epidurals & am all for it & will most likely be doing it again, but I really want to just know once what women have been going through for thousands of years & what it is that my body is capable of. Although I'm not sure curiousity is worth the pain.
So I've been researching methods & trying to convince myself that I can do it, but we honestly don't have the time or money for classes to prepare for this, so it just keeps coming back to the drugs.
Basically I had just decided maybe someday it would be natural for me, but not this day until last night when I got a burst of motivation again.
But where do I start?! Do I really have any chance without classes? How can I make sure I'm ready & not going to cave as soon as a contraction comes!!? Again, advice please!!! oh & please don't hate me if I do give in & beg for drugs. I'm only human!!!
12 comments:
tu es mucho crazyio! You've got all kinds of women in the ward that can help you on this one. I am no help at all. In fact if I'm in the room I will be chanting "epidural" over and over again. Taj already had those cheeks as a new born. He was so sweet! Great pictures.
Alrighty little missy....I and totally relate to your wanting to see what your amazing body is capable of. And I HOPE you DO hold out and are strong and able to do it naturally. I must add though, that was the plan with Cade. I bought and read The Bradley Method: Husband Coached labor (or something like that) and was all prepared. I'm a strong lady, right? I did pretty well until 30 minutes after my water broke. I was dialated to an 8 and they still gave me an epidural. My state of being went from complete agony to complete bliss once the drugs kicked in. I dont know if I could have birthed naturally if Aaron knew what to do or how to comfort me. He seems to feel at a loss when it comes to that so in order to kill the pain AND help him feel less uncomfortable, the drugs worked for me. And you better believe I'll be getting them again. :)
With that said, totally check into that book. It was well worth the money and read and could help you do it naturally! Good luck babe! :)
Well, I don't see any problem with holding out as long as you can and then getting drugs when it becomes too much. I didn't expect to last as long as I did, I did almost the whole thing with just one of those shots that makes you loopy and got the epideral when the pain just got seriously nasty - good thing, because right after I got it, I dialated from 6cm to 10cm in, like, 10 minutes. I don't want to imagine what it would've been like trying to push while having those nasty contractions at the same time, though I do have that curiosity about how women did it back in the day!
I have a friend that did it naturally and she talks about it like it was no big deal - of course, she delivered 4 hours after arriving at the hospital. She said it's just basically a choice of whether or not you want to enjoy labor - don't think I would've enjoyed it as much without the epideral! But at the same time, it's gratifying to know how much you can handle on your own. I would keep the idea of doing it naturally out there, but be open to getting that epideral. And prep yourself by reminding yourself that there is nothing wrong with getting drugs. The last thing you want is to be beating yourself up about that!
Take the drugs! Charlotte had no choice when she had our kids, she just bit down on a stick, that's how they did it in the "old"days. hehe Brian
Do you have a high tolerance of pain? Then give it a try. Will Ben be a good labor coach? If he will, then try. If neither of the two? Epidural.
I could never choose to have a natural birthing experience. I don't have the highest pain tolerance and Jared would suck trying to "comfort" me. He would probably ask for the epidural. For himself.
Hey I am totally just as curious as you are, except you're pregnant and I'm not. I found this book though: Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper. I have heard really good things about it. If you can find it anywhere, take a peak at it and see what you think. I am totally going to read it when I get pregnant. Good luck and just remember, there are always drugs if you need them! :)
We are due around the same time. I went 18 hours without medication with my little Alexander, so I keep telling myself I could have gone all the way if it weren't for the complications.
I'm in the same boat, I want to "try it" natural, but at the same time, the epidural was so nice. Hopefully our next little guy will come quicker. By the way, I prepared for the first to be natural by reading the Hypnobirthing books. I also read the Bradly method...they are pretty much the same but the Bradly is without "imagery coaching." I was able to use what I had learned to last the 18 hours and get through the little scare without feeling more than pressure. Exciting times ahead for us!
our lively hood is surgery and epidurals so i say go for the drugs?! J/K just talk to the anesthesia guy before hand so that if you decide you want the epidural that is all taken care of,matt hates it when women are screaming at him b/c they wanted natural then they are at the point of excrutiating pain and they won't listen to his spiel of complications etc. that he has to give. you can always give it a try but i would get prepared for it. it kind of depends on the intensity and length of the labor. good luck, either way you get a baby!
Ok right, so I don't have any kids, but! I do have kidney stones. Charming, I know. I've always thought like you, hey women have been doing this for thousands of years, etc and so if I decide to have little ones, maybe I'd try it without drugs. Who knows though. Anyway, I think one of my kidney stones decided it'd had enough of me and worked its way out a few months ago. It hurt-- A LOT. But saying "ow ow ow owwww! really? Are you kidding me?? ow ow ow this hurts ow ow ow" over and over seemed to help.
Oh also, the name Landon is cute.
Ok, you're crazy!! My mom keeps telling me to have one without an epidural, but I'm way too scared and wimpy! More power to you though! I say go for it, but have the anesthesiologist handy, just in case!
I am all for the drugs. I think that Heavenly Father inspired people to create technology and medicine to help me through labor and delivery. I know some people that might think that is sacrilegious buth that's what I think. Me. A nice girl that I Visit Teach delivered both of her kids at home (a whole different discussion!) with no drugs and her HUSBAND delivered the second one. I honestly can not imagine delivering a baby at home with just Kurt and I. I don't think I would survive. Anyway- My attitude is that if you can enjoy you labor and delivery, why not?
I haven't been keeping up on the blogs, so I missed that Brian was up to his old tricks again. I never bit down on a stick. and we did have drugs and epidurals and husband- coached labor and all that stuff.
I just never used any of it. The cramping part to me was easier - or the same as any kind of cramping - and when the severe part comes, it is so quick and short and then, all of a sudden there is a baby. I would have hated having an epidural and not having feeling in my legs and back and such. I do recommend the local shot before any cutting and stitching, but I also did that twice without the shot.
Also, please do not believe Brian's other story about Alicia's delivery - - the screaming DID NOT kill 3 old people living in the neighboring Assisted Living section of the hospital. That has never been proven.......
And I only screamed just as she came out - she was very overdue and weighed almost 10 pounds and I had no drugs or shots or anything..
The best preparation is walking - from now until the little one comes. It prepares your muscles to do the work of labor and helps cut down on your labor time and pain.
Good Luck - and don't beat yourself up if you have to have help. That's what it is there for. LOVE YOU - Charlotte
Post a Comment