A friend was recently doing research for a class & came across a theory similar to this (sorry I can't remember it perfectly, so I'm sure I'm butchering it).... we choose how much happiness, success, failure, etc. that we have in life. Meaning that we are only comfortable having a certain amount of these things & so we make subconscious decisions that will continue us on this path, whether that be to sabotage or push us forward. So whether or not we realize it we are deliberately keeping ourselves where we are at. He had a lot of different reasons & examples to support this and it really got me thinking that I might agree. I'm curious what others think though.
Support it or not & why?
Support it or not & why?
11 comments:
I love reading your blogs....and your baby is so, so cute! Thanks for sharing your life with me!
roller derby? awesome. for some reason that looks so cool to me. i totally want to go to watch one. when we were in california i head an add on the radio for a girls roller derby camp in la and i wished i was 16 again....
i think i totally support that theory. i think things happen that we can't help but we can help the way we react. and most of the situations that we get ourselves in are products of our choices anyways. attitude determindes altitude.
hello typos...
i meant i heard an add, and attitude determines altitude.
i am a dork
I completely agree with you. I am sure somewhere there is a reasonable argument against it, but for the most part I think it is true. Most people are about as happy as they want to be.
As always, great blogging. Good pics, thought-provoking material.
I agree. ummm...nothing very deep is coming to me. I agree that most people get what they want out of life if they really put their minds to it.
I agree to some degree---I think that some people are given more to deal with than others, making being positive a bit more challenging--I have had a couple of friends who have lost several love ones all in a very short time, and good attitude or not, that gives more to deal with. But ultimately it up to us individually.
I agree.
I know a few people who get life going perfectly and then purposely screw it all up for no reason. Perhaps they miss the attention they get from others when their life sucks.
You are so cute in your red hoop earrings...seriously...and the collar on your black shirt is so vintage, chic. Love it.
Okay...as for the question: I agree entirely. We are capable of anything but only if we truly believe that for ourselves can we accomplish whatever that may be. I too(like Ben mentioned) have witnessed friends mess up their lives when things are going great--and almost on purpose it seems.
Hey... 8 days and no update?? Just sayin'
(yes I know you have a little one running around, you're bakin' another, and there's a cat and dog in the mix... I just really like your posts!) :)
Hey Denae! I think that for the most part, this is true. However, you have to realize that there can be other factors involved. People with depression have a chemical imbalance in their brains. They have to work extra hard to make things positive. There are many mental health issues that cause similar problems. The important thing is to try the best you can and don't ever assume that someone else wants their life to be bad just because it is. Sorry for the long answer from the social worker:)
My sister says this is how heaven and hell will be decided. That we will only go as high as we are comfortable. That in the end, the ones in the lower levels will still be happy because that is where they were comfortable living.
I don't know if it is true or not, and as someone who has suffered from Bi-Polar disorder for over 50 years, I agree with the mental illness post, but lately I have found that I can be as happy as I try to be most of the time.
I have a family member who spent like 30 years in the military and like Ben said, every time he was promoted and starting to get ahead, he would mess up and get put back to the lowest rank - where he had no responsibilities and no one had expectations for him to mess up.
And, you do have the cutest little guy ever... he is such a sweetie. Love, Charlotte
Post a Comment