Friday, April 4, 2008

Devil in the White City

Our 2nd place in Chicago (sorry no pictures from the 1st)

Our view...

Our favorite restaurant in the whole world. It's right by our 1st apartment & we were there at least a couple times a week. We miss you Lazos!

Why we miss Chicago...



Chicago, Chicago, Chicago. So truthfully, when we moved there in the middle of January we hated it. It was quite the reality check & for the first bit we were miserable & truly were so confused why anyone would live there! It was too crowded, stressful & busy. The people were rude & it was colder than any other place on earth! To top it off we were baffled why people were so into fashion that they would spend hundreds of dollars on jeans when cheaper ones work fine.
Then Summer rolled around. That city is sooo much fun & so beautiful in the Summer! There is so much to do & the lake is gorgeous & it even has a beach! Maybe it was the sun, but our whole outlook changed. All of a sudden the people weren't so mean & it was more understandable to want to live in a busy city. There's always something to do & watch & I miss so much being able to walk to wherever you are going. We loved riding bikes or roller blading all Summer long wherever we went.
And surprise, surprise, we even fell in love with the people. We got some amazing friends to ignore our attitudes & open our eyes. I know this sounds like far too much of a generalization, but really we found that city people are so aware of what's going on in the world & make it a big priority to not be ignorant for the most part. Many have traveled & come from other areas, so they know there are good places & ways of living besides their own & they not only respect that, but are eager to experience more themselves. That's a big thing for Ben & I. Also being open minded & allowing people to be individuals. That's what the city was about. Everyone is so unique & proud of it & we love, love, love that. Not to mention we fell in love with architecture there & I loved being submerged in real design. I found my deep design bug there.It really was so odd to come from Hawaii to there & then combine the 2 into ourselves, although people in Chicago still think we're really Hawaii & vice verse, but we loved both places a lot & miss them (although we get to go to Chicago plenty, thank goodness). Oh & unfortunately the fashion bug got us too. Lots of money for fashion seems a little more understandable to us. Although we can't do it ourselves, we can respect a nice, unique, good quality shirt or pair of pants for a little more than usual.
Why do you love where you live?

8 comments:

Our son Kade said...

I love where I live because everyone gets to do their own thing without anyone saying "you can't do that". Plus its really beautiful, and there's lots of open space, and room to move. And there isn't a lot of judginess (is that a word?) here. I guess I just like it. :) Good question, made me think. :) Alicia

Leilani said...

I love the picture of you and your family at the end of the post. Y'all look all cute and cuddled together like you're trying to keep warm. Plus the street is beautiful too.

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

I love where I live because of the FISHING!! Brian

Molly Malia said...

okay... good question... well theres the.... and the uh.... oh and the....um... well i got kasey and jord... and the mountains... those arn't that bad, i like spending time in them rivers, lakes, parks, oh my!
and the three months of warm weather a year... yikes!
oh and cause i know that eventually once or twice a year my parents come for a visit... even if they are here on business, their mine!

Molly Malia said...

oh, and you're tagged

Samantha said...

I love where I live because there are such cool people who live only a few miles away. And their little boy just has so much fun with my little girl. They are just the best!

Joan said...

Wow, from Hawaii to Chicago! HUGE culture shock, for sure. You guys are great to embrace it so openly...even though it is so FREEEZING during the winter months.

betsy said...

you rollerblade? that i got to see.