Our 2nd place in Hawaii
Our future place in Hawaii
My favorite surf spot...
Yes, it's Waikiki! I'm a wuss & not good!
Yes, it's Waikiki! I'm a wuss & not good!
Okay, it's starting to scare me that post ideas are coming to me in the night. These next few posts are going to be devoted to the places we've lived since we were married. We feel really grateful for our experiences & feel that they each have deeply influenced who we are. That's why we're so excited to hopefully find more of who we are in the new places of our future!!!
I feel so inadequate in trying to explain Hawaii in your soul. 1st of all I'm not sure there are words to describe the emotions for it & 2nd there are plenty of people who have lived there far longer than I & have a much deeper understanding & love for it than I. Those should be the ones you hear this from, but here's my attempt.
We left our hearts in Hawaii. No question. The people, the culture, the mountains, the ocean, the life, the love. It gets in your blood & it never leaves. We will always miss Hawaii every day no matter where we are. It just takes over you & fills your heart & soul. We loved being there so so much. It felt like home & where we belonged.
Recently when I went there I just cried from the moment I got off the plane & smelled Hawaii's smell until the moment the clouds blocked the view on my way back. I love it so much & miss it so much. It's forever in me. It forever changes you.
While there, Ben got reacquainted with his inner fish & remembered that the ocean is where he belongs. He unfortunately also developed the surfing bug that will forever plague us. It's his life & pains him to not be able to do it every day now. I wish I could fix it for him.
We were such babies there. We had a million friends in identicle situations too. We were all the same & it made us closer than usual. So poor & so young & life was so free. Every day was amazing. Not a day went by we didn't see a rainbow, touch the sand, play in the ocean (for Ben at least), hear the waves. We had such great friends & family surrounding us; it really was Heaven. I don't know that it gets any better than we had it. Unfortunately we knew we had to move on & though every day we hope to come back & teach Taj Aloha, Chicago was a completely different place we needed to venture & let in our hearts.
Where have you lived?
10 comments:
Your first place was our first place too! John did a great job fixing it up for us as newlyweds. We're still in Laie- you'll have to call when you're back here again!
I remember your tiny little house, it was so cute. And I remember your apartment at the school too - you had an aquarium next to the table didn't you? For some reason I'm thinking aquarium....
Well, I've lived in Oregon, Alaska, Montana for part of a year, back to Alaska, and Hawaii, then back to Alaska. None of them ever got to be in my soul like Alaska. I liked Hawaii, and I plan to go back with Justin, hopefully soon, but it never got in deep with me, like I'd hoped it would. But I do love it there. So nice and warm, and I love snorkeling. Fun stuff. :) Alicia
Don't feel inadequate...your description was perfect. I enjoy the line, "we left our hearts in Hawaii." You could have left it at that...
I don't know of any place that I have lived that I could honor with such eloquent words and feelings. I really enjoy Phoenix...but I don't know that I'm passionate about it?! You know?
I think Paris is where magic was born. It was a dream of mine to visit there and after a long and very complicated story (one for another day) I was able to go and drink up the magic and majesty of it all: the architecture, history, shopping, food, smells, people, subways, all of it.
i miss home so bad! you're right though, you heart never lets go of that place and i lived there for over 28 years...
i've lived orem, laie, honesdale|pa, provo, escondido|ca, moreno valley|ca, mission beach|ca, sugarhouse|ut... i'm not done!
i ment 18 years...
any way, call me when you get out here! i would love to see you, and if you guys need a place to stay let me know. i'll be right here!
OOHHHHHH ! ! ! Very Cruel of you. I so long for Hawaii. Except for the bugs. my heart is somewhere between Hawaii and someplace in Oregon. I always tell Brian I want to live some where that I can grow corn again. I LOVE Kahuku corn and shrimp from the white bus.
Anyway, I didn't really live there. I was there for about a month. Then we tried to move to Kona, but that's another story.
Places I have lived: Medford, Oregon; Pendleton, Oregon; Joseph, Oregon; Billings and Sidney, Montana; Pleasant Grove and SLC, Utah; Denver Colorado; Tok, Alaska (ask Ben about life in Whitehorse - Tok is like that only much, much smaller); Homer, Alaska; Anchor Point, Alaska.... and some day a place where I can grow corn. Charlotte
It's really amazing how differently the same location affects us. Mark and I don't miss Hawaii at all. We're grateful for the fact that place brought us together, that we learned lots there, that we made good friends there, and that we got to leave. Strange, I know.
Since then, we moved to Vegas, then to Kans-Ass briefly, then back to Vegas, then to another place in Vegas, and then to Reno, where we are now. Yes, Reno. Not by choice, but it turns out I like it here a whole lot more than I ever thought I would--aside from when it's snowing and cold, that is. It's then that I want to hide in my bed saying swear words all day.
You've got me sold, when can I move there!
Adam and I have lived in Utah, then STL, now we are in Kansas City, but we will be back in STL in a year. Luckily we love STL and are excited about ending up there.
Hawaii misses you!
I've lived in so many odd places...not that the places are odd, but that it's odd that I've lived in all of them. Ahem, here goes.
UT, Georgia, Colorado, South Carolina, California, back to UT, Maui, Ecuador, Oahu.
NOT an army brat, just my dad's entrepreneurialism combined with my mom being half gypsy.
Post a Comment