Saturday, March 1, 2008

ZZZZZZZZs







Let’s just say it. People who don’t nap make me nervous. I guess it makes me a little worried they’re a bit overzealous about life. And no matter what I just can’t see eye to eye with them at all on it. I love naps. I live for naps! I don’t think it’s because I’m lazy, but I guess that’s a possibility. But I will defend my naps to the death. AND my top sheet. Top sheets are a necessity to a nice, purposeful sleep. And it has to be tucked in or otherwise you spend the majority of the night trying to keep it in place. Ben disagrees on this. He believes that is why duvet covers exist… to replace the top sheet. I think they’re in addition to it. He’s been nice enough to let me keep my T.S. though & just keeps it untucked on his side.
And on the sleeping subject, lately Taj has decided he needs to throw a fit about naps & ends up crying himself to sleep. I love him, but if I went & got him when he cries it would prove it worked, so I have to just try & ignore it. Well Isaac thinks I’m the worse mother ever because of this. Borderline child abuse really. Several times he’s even gone in & rocked Taj to sleep only to have him wake up & scream when he’s put in his crib. I’m more than willing to let him try & do it another way, but it is what it is. Sometimes child abuse is the way to go.
Naps or no (I won't hate you)? Top Sheet or no? Tucked or Untucked? Baby cry or no?

13 comments:

Lant Family said...

We have the same Duvet cover, the brown one with the white pok a dots. WE love it and we love Ikea!

Chris said...

good for you on not getting him from his nap - kids are so smart - and he knows exactly what he is doing - he is testing you - my kids are 3 and 4 and and still testing me on this - let me tell you it is a hard test to pass - but I usually win - I believe in naps too - the top sheet though - I always like it when it's there - but it disappears too often - so I usually do without - And the naps for me are always a blessing if it happens - I have always had trouble sleeping during the day - i try all the time but just lay there frustrated most of the time - my brain won't stop going or something - so I don't try
very often.

love all your little questions - i think they are funny

Anonymous said...

Denae; Naps ROCK, they are what Saturday afternoons are for! Top sheets are a MUST have item. Letting Taj cry is NOT cruel, he needs to learn that crying doesn't work, You go girl. Brian

Molly Malia said...

routine, thats all it is. he'll get the hang of it. play music for him... the same kind of stuff everytime you put him down and he'll know that the nap is in session. connie knowledge...

you know my bed has to be made before i get in to it. top sheet and duvet!

i love naps, even if they are only ten minutes. they get me going again.

Aim said...

I'm all for naps. Poor Christian has not had a normal day for 3 days since Thomas has been home, we have been all over the place! He tried to pull the no nap thing on me and he is only 6 months. Stay strong girl. I love that Isaac rocked Taj to sleep though, so cute, so sweet, I really love that. As for me, I would take a nap everyday if possible. And a T.S. is a must! I HATE it when people just sleep with the duvet covers so sick! I kind of have an obsession about washing blankets though. I'm always washing them.

heidi said...

never give up on the NAPS!!!!! oshyn is almost 4 and still going strong. of course they want to see if they can get away with it, but you are the WO-MAN and if he has to sing himself to sleep so be it! :) top sheets yes--tucked in NO!! my feet feel trapped--no socks either!

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Alicia would always throw up when she cried and Brian was working weird shifts, so I couldn't just let her cry and throw up while he was sleeping....so I would sit by the crib and sing to her. At first it was a couple songs and then it was every song I had ever heard in my life and I would be in there for over 2 hours every night.

If I stopped singing, she would throw up. This went on for years. Finally, we made her a bed on the floor next to ours where she slept for years. And every where we went, we carried a cool whip bowl for her to throw up in - even to school.

Then one night when she was 6 or 7 I told her it was time for bed and she went to get on her pajamas and she threw up and I knew she had done it on purpose. And that was the end of Mrs. Nice Guy. I turned her over my knee and whomped her butt and said, "DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN ! ! ! " and she said, "okay" and that was the end of it.

For 5 years I sat on the floor of that room singing and all i needed to do was to get firm with her (she only got spanked like 3 times in her entire life). Watch the SuperNanny sometimes. She has a great way to get kids to sleep. I wish I had known it 35 years ago.

Neither of my kids napped - from birth. I could beg a rest time in the afternoon, but neither of them ever did that nap in the morning and nap in the afternoon and go to bed at 7 thing that other babies do.

Personally, I live for naps. Top sheet is essential, but untucked so my feet can poke out and breathe, Brian tucked in tight all the way up.

And December 21 is the day that light comes back. For 30 years we have lived where November and December have 6 or 7 hours of daylight. (even in Oregon, we lived beneath a mountain that blocked the winter sun). So Dec. 21 is the best day of the year. Charlotte

Lauren F. said...

If I nap, I have a really hard time falling asleep at night. I don't know what happened because I used to be all about the naps in college. Am I getting old?! And definately yes on the top sheet!

The Wehrmeister's said...

No top sheet for me, Adam is a yes top sheet. Then with the whole nap thing. I would love them, my children just don't seem to think I should have them. I do get them every now and then.

C.D.H Design said...

I was never a napper until I started working 3 jobs, but its defininitly a neccessity now. Sorry Denae, but I hate the sheet, You'll have to talk to Dave about the sheet, he feels the same way you do.

Traci said...

Ok, so don't be mad at us that we aren't moving to StL plllleeeaassee!! But after reading this post I am sure we would have REALLY got along as I totally and full heartedly agree with everything you said!
Mark is a duvet only fan and I NEED a top sheet tucked in nicely and a blanket on top. I can't tell you how many times we have slept somewhere else and Mark has got into bed between the t.s. and the duvet without thinking about getting between the sheets. I laugh at him everytime!!
Let the boy cry, crying is good for kids I think!
Naps are an important and necessary part of a normal life, you are aren't taking them.... YOU aren't normal!

betsy said...

you and i are probably the biggest sleepers that we will ever meet. hooray for sleep. you know that i could sleep on demand. as for top sheets - no thanks. all i want is a little blankie. no sheets, tucked or untucked, are desired. i am pro naps and pro letting babies cry in order for them to fall asleep.

Anonymous said...

Naps and tops sheets are a must. I thought only people in frat houses didn't use top sheets.

I agree with you on the nap/crying situation. Either you condition your child or your child will condition you. Course there are always exceptions. :) And at some point most children stop taking naps. I find it helps to wear Zoe out before I try to get her to nap. Good luck!

Nope, I won't see you this weekend! Bummer!!!