And at this point I feel I need to give a warning... If you would like to skip over the following ramblings of my latest self realization epiphany feel free to skip down to the end photos.
Apparently unbeknownst to me I had some culture shock upon moving to LA that confused me a bit. Didn't expect it since I knew what I was getting into AND I thought I had a pretty strong grip on myself AND it's just a new city in the US of A, right? Anyway, upon going home there were a lot of things that reminded me of who I am & where I come from & settled me back down. And I may or may not have been singing a Kenny Chesney song in my head the entire trip.
There are plenty of things that are part of me that I don't like & want to shake off as fast as crap on the foot, but there are also some I have realized are deeply engrained & aren't so bad after all. In fact, I think I love these.
Here in LA, we have been told we are refreshingly "down home". This surprised me. Really? I just thought we were normal. It took actually going home though to see & understand what that is & that it really isn't as normal as we thought.
That said, I also need to say that I understand & have found good people that don't see the world this same way. There are actually plenty of other ways of being that are great & may even work better for some, but these are the values I am made of. So below please see my pretty seriously random jotted down thoughts while on vacation on what makes us "down home".
-Family are the ones you love, however you may be assembled & they will always be most important. They are our core. Our center. No matter where we live, what is currently important to us or what our latest hobby may be, family is what keeps us grounded. It's what we always come back to.
-I will never regret having kids (even if they do add to the population problem). Children will always be so special. They are my soul & will always come back to the top. They are me.
-It's refreshing to have people in your life that have known you since "way back when" (even if it is way back when you peed your pants during the 50 yard dash).
-Cheating spouses will always disturb & scandalize me.
-Distant, lacking fathers will always make me sad.
-I don't believe spending lots of money on something makes it any better than the cheaper version.
-Ben & the kids will always be the ones I would rather be with (maybe not ALWAYS, but most of the time).
To most of you these are probably obvious, simple things, but don't take that for granted! You really surprisingly are the minority.
And this will always stay with us.
This picture will mean nothing to people who didn't see it with their eyes, but this was a moment not to be forgotten. My son refusing to ride the dangerous planes ride with all his cousins, but instead taking the safe & super slow train by himself.
Our adorable little nephew Grayson. Sadly he was born shortly before we moved so he doesn't feel completely comfortable with us, but we love him like none other.
Taj was able to visit his beloved train store & reunite with his 4th birthday handprint. 
p.s. do not let anyone wax you that already holds a grudge against you.p.p.s. Can someone PLEASE go to my hairdresser (let me know if you would like brocke's info) & be referred by me so that I can get my haircut again. I need the discount!
5 comments:
I'm very glad you are the way you are. And that some things can never change. It is cold and lonely here in St. Louis without you. Also it's winter. But I think mostly it's cold and lonely because you aren't here. LA is lucky to have you!
P.S. Is it kind of fun being a little different from everybody else or is it just weird? Do you feel isolated or do you feel special? Or both?
Love you and your unchanging self.
First off, on the last post (which I loved by the way)--I loved all the simple things that you wrote that you loved about Ben. And that's what your love has always been to me, simple, true, real. Ben is a great father and hubby and he loves you endlessly. Has for a LONG time now. And yes, he has a special place in my heart too, from all the times he has been so great to me and making me always feel at home in your house. I love that man! And you too of course, Happy Anniversary.
That being said, I am so grateful for the simple things you mentioned in this post because they are special and extraordinary. You are so lucky to have a happy marriage because so many people do not. You are so lucky to have children because so many people cannot. And you are so lucky to be having a new experience in a new town. I miss you deeply some days and wish we lived closer so we could talk more and be together more but I know we are both where we need to be. You have a beautiful family-immediate and extended...and they are lucky to have you as well.
sometimes you just gotta go home!
the thing about being different in a different place is why we seem to stay in hawaii, we like who we are here and don't want to change so we finally bought a house and are here for a while!
my friend had a really hard time in LA so stay who you are!
Ditto. You are so honest and open and real and I love that about you. Being down home ain't so bad is it? But don't worry... you are still an original. :)
Post a Comment