Monday, January 24, 2011

Resolution Part I

One of my new years goals is to take more risks (risk being quite the overstatement since there is absolutely no real element of danger involved- let me know if you can come up with a better word for me though please). Not like bungie jumping (although, yeah maybe that would be a good one since I'm very afraid of heights), but more like things that I just won't/ don't do because they are out of my comfort zone. I am a firm believer that the most enjoyable things in life come when you take risks & generally speaking the people I look up to are always the risks takers, but still I will be the one sitting on the side when the water is cold.
So to start it off with a bang, as some of you have noticed, I chopped off all my hair. Yes... elbow length to pixie in one swift clip.
I must say that I may not be in love with my new doo (although I do like it I think more each day), but I am in love with the fact that I did it. Not just that I did it, but that I realize it's just hair. It's just one more to chalk up for experience. I've always been curious about having a pixie cut & now I know. Life is too short to wonder & spend my life being comfortable because it's easier. But now I know I can do it! And I did it! And I realize that temporary discomfort isn't that big of a deal & I am capable of handling it. It widens my horizons. Not only am I learning this for me, but I'm teaching my kids too. This may sound lame to those of you that aren't scaredy cats, but humor me a bit here. For me it's a breath of fresh air that I need.
Living in a new place is full of ways to continue my risk taking & exploring my boundaries & while I am not necessarily loving going out of my comfort zone, I truly am loving the way it is making me feel. Stronger, braver, smarter, deeper. So here's to my new experiences in 2011.
And for the record I felt like a complete idiot having Ben take these pictures, so all those that begged for hair pictures, you'd better love me a little more now.

11 comments:

Rebekah said...

It's cute! I like it on you, that is one of those things that I just can't do... Maybe instead of taking risks you are being braver? Throwing caution to the wind? I dunno, good for you though!

Janet said...

You look GREAT! I'm surprised you've never done it before, it looks so natural. Thanks for the pics!
I love all your blog updates, by the way. :)

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Okay, I LOVE the hair....I wish I was that brave...and that I didn't have a fat face. It is so cute...and I love seeing the pictures of your whole family...you guys are so adorable. Keep blogging (who am I to talk...it took me two months to finally get something new in)....miss you all!

emilymhjohnson said...

I am CRAZY about your hair. I love it, love it, love it!!! You look so hip and artsy! And I'm super proud of you for your bravery in all areas of life. Hello! You moved across the country just for the hell of it! That's pretty BA if you ask me. I believe I will join you in your resolution to take more risks. I agree, life is better free from fear! You are an inspiration to us all.

mich said...

your hair looks super cute --- i don't know if I would be brave enough to try it!! and it is a huge risk to move across the country to a new place and restart your life there....i'm sure you have many adventures waiting for you in Cali.

Lindsay Bowen said...

Oh! I love your hair! It is so cute. Our k9 situation is great and will be finished on Friday! Can't wait. We will be seeing you soon, hopefully!!!

heidi said...

i love your hair too!! so so cute and it looks good on you too. loved your postcard. hope to be down in your neck of the woods soon.

angerine said...

I second everything Emily said!

Anonymous said...

Denae! I LOVE the hair! It's a great cut on you! Love the longer bangs, too (perhaps a little jealous that your bangs can be that length and lay/lie that nicely. sorry, I still don't have the hang of lay/lie). I'm glad you did it and I love your attitude about it. You're right, it *is* only hair and if you're still not loving it, it'll grow back (faster than you think, too). glad you posted pictures :)

Aim said...

K, I LOVE it. It totally seems to suit you and you look so cute. Seriously I adore it! Good for you for taking chances! Can't wait to see you soon!

deb said...

I LOVE your hair!!!! I miss you so much, and I'm jealous about the beach:)