Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Intechsicated

I wanted to jump in with one last post before all posts become baby baby baby baby.

Technology-- It’s just another one of my big love/hate relationships that’s been getting to me. Not just technology itself, but Mobile technology.

First off, I love gadgets. Seriously, anything that moves, beeps, lights up, wiggles, jiggles, or is shiny I think is awesome!

So all the newest toys that allow a me to surf the web, play games, instant message, listen to music, and call my grandma all while sitting on a porta-potty on top of a mountain are just mind numbing.

My first instinct is gotta, wanna, MUST HAVE IT!!!!!!! But at the same time, I hate it, don’t want it, don't want to be connected to the world at all times.

Let me break it down for you:

Love:
Gadgets (see above)
Ability to look up anything anywhere. (Ice cream shop at 2am in Booney Town USA… No problem)

Games. Oh the games, twisty, turny, puzzly….mmm beautiful. (Enigmo & Fantastic Contraption are my new favorites)


Hate:
Being reachable at all times
One more thing to carry in my pocket
The constant false ringing vibration that I feel 20 times a day. (You know what I’m talking about)
Knowing that The Man knows where I am at all times.


Oh how I wish to have lived in simpler times without all these newfandangled contraptions….like the 60’s.


So do I sell out and buy an iPhone so that I can surf the web, play games, instant message, listen to music, and call my grandma all while sitting on a porta-potty on top of a mountain? Or resist the urge and just keep using a plain old cell phone?

This is the end of my rants, probably only baby posts from here on out.

14 comments:

Samantha said...

I think you really wanted to write that post on the throne, didn't you. Maybe if you only gave your phone number to non-annoying people, then you wouldn't have to answer it all the time. Or just get rid of all friends and family. Plus, are you willing to fork over the extra $30 or more to have this internet at all moments?

I think it is something in male DNA that makes them want every gadget known to man.

Anonymous said...

And I think you should discuss a little more with your wife if she's willing to fork out a sickening amount of money for a phone. Just a little sidenote...

KJA said...

Tip - you can always turn off ANY phone or just don't answer it.
Now I opted NOT to get an iphone even though I am pretty sure it's calling my name 'Kara buy me, I'm all yours' because I simply could not justify the cost for a stay-at-home mom. But you have to find that happy place where you are content with 'just enough'.

heidi said...

i'm excited for you guys--can't believe the baby birl is going to come so soon. and yes you should get the iphone...it rules, but listen to kara above and just turn it off when you don't wanna be bugged. i too couldn't justify the cost, but sometimes you just have to give in and get things you want not need because where is the fun in life if you are always practical? miss you guys.

Sie said...

I'm sure your pocket book doesn't want to hear this but... I love my iPhone! And you should do what I do, I only answer my phone about half the time so people get the picture that I'm not available 24/7. I say having a phone is for my convenience, not theirs! Anyway, good luck with the new baby! I can't wait to read more about h-im/er!

Unknown said...

I want an iphone. And if anyone would use it to it's fullest capacity it would be you Ben. Sorry you may have all natural desires but you were born in the wrong time and you have fully adabted yourself.

Anonymous said...

*side note* this is coming from the girl who is using a 4 year-old cell phone (I love it)

Most people I know who have the iphone love it and I must admit... the commercial that lets you shake the phone and it will pick the restaurants really has me thinking about getting one...

Final verdict: I say do it... but don't expect to upgrade to the latest and greatest within the next 5 years :)

Ben said...

mmmm....iPhone....stop it...you're so naughty


i love you...you sexy thang

Emily said...

Which one would look better with spit-up and/or poop on it? Pick that one!

anna said...

Don't get an iphone. They are way too much money. I had to get a new phone last week and I freaked over $80. But I am cheap. They are really cool, but so are Jaguars and I am not buying one of those either.

Eli said...

Let's look at what type of device your pros and cons are describing:

Love:
Gadgets [IPHONE, EVERY APPLICATION YOU COULD DOWNLOAD FOR YOUR IPHONE (cell phones have been around long enough to no longer qualify as a "gadget")]
Ability to look up anything anywhere. (Ice cream shop at 2am in Booney Town USA… No problem)[IPHONE]
Games. Oh the games, twisty, turny, puzzly….mmm beautiful. (Enigmo & Fantastic Contraption are my new favorites) [IPHONE]

Hate:
Being reachable at all times [IPHONE AND CELL PHONE]
One more thing to carry in my pocket [IPHONE AND CELL PHONE (but if you had an iphone, you would never have to worry about adding an iPod, guitar tuner, gps, laptop, camera, etc to the things you carry in your pocket)]
The constant false ringing vibration that I feel 20 times a day. (You know what I’m talking about) [IPHONE AND CELL PHONE]
Knowing that The Man knows where I am at all times. [IPHONE AND CELL PHONE]

So it looks like by choosing a simple cell phone over an iPhone you are neglecting your "loves" without any relief from your "hates."

Joan said...

Oh, how I can commiserate with you, dear! Technology is my biggest frenemy (friend/enemy) ever! I think it is only a matter of time before you get an iphone. They are just too fun. That being said: I don't have one..but I do lust after one :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Denae- hope all is going well. When is your due date? Did you hear that Heather is pregnant - she's due on June 1st ( a day before my b-day). I'm so excited!!!

About the iPhone - it looks like a cool gadget. There's this guy in my class and he's ALWAYS on his iPhone. It seems like such a distraction. Once you make that transition to cell phone technology, it seems that it would be hard to go back. Bryan and I JUST upgraded our cell phones for texting. We are alittle behind. =)

Anonymous said...

Well, me and Chris had this same debate and we were both going to get iphones, but then we found out that we would be required to have an all-inclusive plan (internet, data, etc.) which runs about $180 a month for two people... we had to move to other options.

If you're interested in other carriers, I'd go with the Samsung Instinct with a Sprint plan. We had that phone for about a month and it's awesome! The GPS on it is really easy to navigate, we really liked it. Sprint service out here is terrible, though, so we had to switch back to AT&T and we got smartphones - I got the Palm Centro and Chris got a Blackberry. Only $30 each. But I can't deny that whenever I walk by the iPhone at Best Buy a little something in me dies...