Saturday, March 22, 2008

Moody

Some old pictures since we don't have a camera again...

Taj & cousin McKenzie

Still miss you Em.
I love so much how music can influence a person. It just touches people in ways that I haven’t found anything else capable of. It can lift my spirits or, more likely, reinforce my depressing mood or highlight my angry mood. It’s just amazing. Even the tune can do it on its own, but I love the lyrics so much as well. It’s incredible to listen to them & to be capable of seeing so deeply into someone else’s emotions. And I envy that they are willing to put it all out there like that. Thank goodness for those people. So I thought they deserve a little post devoted to them today. ...On the flipside though, it does concern me a bit that society has idolized songs like “the Thong Song” & "Baby Got Back" among others! I hoping this means other people don’t listen to the lyrics like I do.
Looking back, what are some songs that we probably should have passed on, but obsessed over instead?

8 comments:

Joan said...

You know...first song that came to mind? "Crash" by none other than one of my very favs: Dave M. I had no idea what the song meant until I got married. haha. I just thought the "hack up your skirt a little more"...was, I don't know...just him having his "boy's dream." Okay, wait...that doesn't sound too good either. haha...oh, dear!
So...another one...kind of a funny story. I was thirteen or maybe fourteen. In the car with my parents and I was singing, "I don't want anybody else. When I think about you I touch myself. Oh oh, I don't want anybody else, oh no! oh no! Oh no!"
My mom was like, "Joanie? Do you know what that means?" I thought about it for two seconds and had an "ah ha" moment. Pretty embarrassing.
So, needless to say there are hundreds, thousands of songs even that could be and should be avoided.

Aim said...

Nae, you crack me up. You were ALWAYS all about the lyrics. I am so about the beat and the music itself, I really don't care about the lyrics until I realize what they are really saying! I totally agree with you Joan on the "Crash" song. LOVE LOVE LOVE! It may be evil but I love that song. Let me think if there is another one...hmmm, I may have to think about that for a minute since I don't really listen to the lyrics!!

echo said...

you can check out upstandingyouth.com or their myspace page. they do have t-shirts but the website is undergoing a facelift so they are not available right now. but if you want one i have the hooks ups. so just email upstandingyouth@yahoo and let them know the sizes and what not.
we lived in g-130. and it was mason and erika who moved into your place. mason is marc's cousin. small world. thanks for the magazine suggestion.
i totally agree on the lyrics thing, being the wife of a musician i have learned all of the different metaphors and such.

betsy said...

there are way too many stupid songs that became successful, can't even pinpoint one. thanks for finding luisa for me!! thanks thanks thanks.

Our son Kade said...

The first thing that popped into my head was the Macarena. Followed quickly by achy breaky heart, with the included line dance. :D Alicia

Jen said...

How come the Strombergs didnt make it on your list of people you love? We get bored too, we'll have to hang out soon! You going to Morgans shower?
jen

Chris said...

Laughed out loud at the thong song and Baby got back - I seem to recall a couple of GOOD friends of mine - that you also know very well --- knowing every single line to "Baby Got back" and Randomly chanting "thong th thong thong thong!" Ha

ashley said...

remember the song that went "you and me baby aint nothin but mammals, so lets do it like they do on the discovery channel" sick.

even sicker is that i know every word of that disgusting song. and now that i wrote that it is stuck going threw my head all day. lovely.