Monday, January 21, 2008

The Dilemma

Going to church

Papa's trains' engineer

The 1st snow

Okay, so I love my job. Really I do. I love my degree & what I do & what I am capable of doing. I really am lucky. But here's the problem, I love my son too & I know I’m missing his life by working. He’s already 18 months & now he notices when I’m gone a lot. I know working while you've got a little guy works for some women & that’s wonderful for them, but I'm not sure it's for me. I’m torn. Understandably my job wants all of me, but so does my baby boy & someone somewhere is going to miss out. I know being a mom is the most important job out there & truely that is where I want to be, but I also really like feeling a sense of achievement from the work I do & the liberation from knowing I'm contributing to our livelihood. How can I keep my work abilities & accomplishments part of my life when I make Taj my only focus? This shouldn’t really even be a concern right now though because not working isn’t an option in our current situation, but I’m going to stay home eventually. There is no question about it, but I still want to feel fulfilled on my “nonmother” side & to use that side of my brain & I'm worried that's not going to happen. I really am so excited though for the time when I can wake up & hang out with Taj all day because he is by far the most happiness I have known & I love him more than I ever thought possible. Really, how can that even compare to a job?
p.s. Joy I love you for coming back outside the blog.

6 comments:

Aim said...

Yea yea yea!!! You are an official blogger! Good for you, jump on the bandwagon FINALLY! Taj is getting so big and he is still so stinkin cute. I miss you, when are we going to talk?

Anonymous said...

What a cute kid! Denae, are you sure Ben's the real Dad.

p.s. you have bad friends that don't email you to tell you thank you for such a fun surprise in their mailbox when they arrived back from Christmas. Something will have to be done to rectify the situation. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

If I were you, I would take the time you have to work right to do a lot of networking that might allow you to eventually be a freelancer (does freelance interior design exist?) or work from home. If you have enough connections you could get clients through word-of-mouth!

I understand your concern, though. The only answer I've been able to come up with myself is find a job that requires fewer hours, or work from home. I feel exactly the same as you (except I don't have kids yet...).

Joy said...

I love you too! :) We've missed you guys soooooooo much! I'll let you know when we plan their Chicago blessing date!

I can relate to this post...the other day I was so excited to get out of the house for the girl's pediatrician appointment...that's sad! I can't say I really miss working, but sometimes I do miss adult interactions and conversations. Such a difficult balance, but you are doing great!

Joy said...

P.S. Dang, your son is SO CUTE!!!!!

Molly Malia said...

hey i wish i could stay home and work only two or three days a week... but i'm poor...